Thursday, July 01, 2010

Madie's Birthday Bag

The day after I bought my sewing machine (see photos from that glorious day over on the Martha Stewart Crafts Department blog) was a rainy Sunday, perfect for playing around with my new toy. Since my cousin Madie's 7th birthday was coming up, I wanted to make her something special.

Madie is a gal's gal who loves makeup and the color pink. She can walk in high heels better than I can. (Did you know they make those for 7 year olds now?) A pink purse was an obvious choice!

I started by playing around with the decorative stitches on the machine using some pink felt from my stash...




...and finished by attaching a polka dot initial and ribbon handles. I wish I had red polka dot ribbon in my stash to use, but black did the trick. I was most proud of my clipped corners -- a trick I learned from Becky Hanson who teaches Singer sewing classes to employees at Martha Stewart.
My mom delivered the bag to Madie and said she has been carrying it everywhere, which makes me really happy.

No comments: